Sunday, July 5, 2015

Race recaps: My threesome weekend


Before I start, this is a running blog. And when I post about a threesome, it can only mean one thing. Three races. A trifecta. The triple play. Hat trick. So if you were looking for something else, well, just keep looking. Mind, meet gutter.


This was a big race weekend for me. Not only did I have a live 10k, the Stampede Run, but I also had 2 virtual runs to complete, the Nuun Run/Ride/Hydrate 10k and the Gone For A Run All 4 Run The virtual runs could be completed any time over the weekend. At first I thought I'd just do them all on Sunday, as part of my live race. After more thought, I realized that just didn't seem like the right thing to do. So here are my 3 recaps of my 3 races.


As a Nuun ambassador, I was offered entry into this ambassador only race. There was a 5k, 10k, or 10 mile ride option. Since I normally run 6 miles, I chose the 10k option. As part of the race swag, I received a t-shirt, bib, medal, tattoos, stickers, and one tablet of Nuun. I really liked the t-shirt design! Sticking to the superstition of never wearing the race shirt for the actual race, I pulled on a Chicago marathon long sleeve shirt to run this one. My calves and shins have been bothering me, so I also wore my SLS3 compression socks to try to alleviate some of the discomfort. No luck there. I could hear my feet flapping on the ground as my shins kept getting tighter and I had to stop twice to stretch out my calves. It really wasn't until mile 5 that I felt loose. Luckily, my pace wasn't affected by my discomfort. I finished this one in 52:46, an average pace of 8:30 mins/mile. But I was concerned that this shin tightness was going to be an issue all weekend, and I did some yoga stretching after my run. 


******************************************

Gone For A Run All 4 Run



Disclaimer: I was given free entry and all the swag you see in the picture from Gone For A Run in exchange for 2 blog posts. The race and all the opinions are mine.

Because of the shin/calf issues I had on Thursday, for this race, which I ran on the 4th, I pulled out a new pair of shoes. The pair I had been running in only had about 320 miles on them, but clearly it was time for new shoes. I had hoped to get this pair through the next 2 weeks before marathon training started, but no luck. 

I put on my new shoes and headed out for my run. It took a while to get a signal on my Garmin, which was a little concerning to me with my live race coming up the next day. Once I finally got the go ahead, I headed out on my neighborhood 4 mile route. In spite of my vigorous foam rolling and stretching, the heavy lifting I did with Becky on Thursday really made my start painful and slow. On the other hand, I had no issues with my shins. I found that encouraging, and after about a half mile, my legs started to loosen up. I found my pace, and went with it.

I hadn't planned on racing this one, but with the gorgeous morning sun and my newfound power, I decided to go with it. And no tummy troubles at all! Wearing my new shoes seemed to be the right thing to do. This turned about to be a fantastic run for me. I finished this 4 miler in 33:42, with an average pace of 8:26. I immediately hoped that I didn't push it too hard for my live 10k the following day. It was back to the foam roller for me!


**********************************************************
Stampede 10k


Sara and me at the starting line!
This is my hometown race, held every year on the Sunday of July 4 weekend. There's a 5k and a 10k option, and the race is pretty popular, attracting some fast local runners.  This year was no exception. My friend Sara and I made plans to do this one together. She met me at my house early, and we drove the short distance to the race. We parked the car and walked the 2 blocks to the start line. Both of us wanted to make one last pit stop before the start of the race, and we headed over to the portapotties. Because the 5k and 10k racers start together, we were worried that we would be weaving through the walkers, and so we lined up towards the front. The gun went off and so did we! Sara took off with the fast runners, and I was surprised to be passed by so many people! I felt like I was running pretty fast, and at mile one, my split was 7:57, so my suspicion was confirmed! It was warming up, and I wanted to run conservatively, so I slowed down a little bit, and continued to be passed by people, most of whom I assumed were the 5k runners. My legs felt loose, and I was glad I ran that 4 miler the day before. 

Shortly after mile 2, I was really hot, so I walked through the water station while drinking. Off to the side, I saw Sara, looking very distressed. I stopped to check on her, and she told me to go ahead and that she'd meet me at the finish line. I felt really badly for her, but I started to run again. She was on my mind the whole time after that. 

At the 2.5 mile point, the 5k runners turned off. It's always so tempting to cut the race short when it's hot, isn't it? But I moved forward with my 10k pals, and for the rest of the race, stayed with most of the same people. I stopped once more to get water at mile 4, and then counted down the songs to the finish. I felt great. There was a guy running next to me, and he would not let me pass him. It was pretty funny. I'd speed up, and so would he. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Call Me the Breeze came on, and I picked up the pace, finally losing him. But at the final turn to the finish line, I watched him blow past me at full speed. Nothing like being passed by a 52 year old woman to get a guy moving, right?


I crossed the finish line in 52:04. My Garmin time was 51:46, but I have it set to stop when I do, and I did have those 2 water stops. I was happy to see that I didn't lose much time doing that! I grabbed some water and a kefir and headed over to the results table to see how I did. I was happy to see that I came in 3rd in my AG! When I checked the official results later, though I saw that out of 342 runners, I was 113. That tells you how fast this field was!


After that, I found Sara, and we headed home. She ended up with her first DNF, but was a trooper about it. I shared my TMI stories with her, to make her feel better. It's her story to tell, but I will share with you that she left her shorts on the curb and went home in a blanket that I gave her. Something that only runners can understand. We laughed about that all the way back to my house!

Overall, I enjoyed all 3 races, but there is nothing like a live race atmosphere. I was nervous for this one, and those nerves drive me to a fast finish. It's fun to run the course along with the other participants, even the guys who get motivated by being "chicked". My favorite part of the race is the last mile and crossing the finish line. That is the best feeling. No bling from this one, but I do get a pint glass for my AG award. I actually prefer that, because every time I drink from one, it reminds me of what I'm capable of!

Did you race this weekend? How did you do? Have you ever done a virtual race? Which do you prefer, virtual or live?

I'm sharing this with Tara's RunningNReading Weekend Update linkup! Check out what everyone else is up to!











And the Silvah Lining!








52 comments :

  1. Well seeing as how I don't have any threesome experience to draw from for comparison, this kind sounds awesome! LOL Great job nailing three races in one weekend! I almost signed up for the GFAR 4 mile one, but I opted to just buy the awesome stars and stripes socks instead. I really like that race shirt though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun way to pass the holiday weekend. I would have run anyways, so it was great to have a little extra incentive!

      Delete
  2. Great job on these three races! And yes I knew you were referring to races when you mentioned threesome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I also ran the Stampede 10k this morning. Shockingly, I won my age group. Didn't expect that, as it wasn't a PR for me. Too bad I didn't stick around to get my pint glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did! I didn't get my glass either. They were having issues with the results. You know you can pick it up this week at Runners High, right?

      Delete
  4. You are a racing beast!! :) Congrats on all your races this weekend. I ran the Island Independence 5K to end our beach week. It was a great race and I snagged 4th in my AG. The field was fast and doubled from last year. So close!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!!! I'm so jealous of your threesome!!.. I did run on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this weekend, so I kind of had a threesome, but none of them were a race....and I didn't get any bling.... Love the patriotic top, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to pick up my award...it's a pint glass, which to me is better than any bling! I got one last year, and every time I drink from it, it puts a smile on my face!

      Delete
  6. You are a machine! I did a 15-mile (hilly) bike ride Friday morning, and my 5K on Saturday was a little unnerving. The glutes/hams were not wanting to move in sync with my feet LOL I still managed a 2nd AG medal, but my finish time was a minute slower than last year. The gal who got 3rd was 2 seconds behind me...so that was a close call! I have not done a virtual event in a while....they are good motivators (and your shirts/bling look cool).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual races are fun and a great way to motivate yourself but they just aren't the same as the real thing!

      Delete
  7. WTG - congrats on your time! Woohoo! I did not race this weekend but definitely see a race in my future before my next half in August. I prefer real races to virtual; I'm awful at motivating myself without the people around me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty good at motivating myself but there's nothing like lining up at the start line and hearing the gun go off!

      Delete
  8. Whoa, well done on your races! I managed an 18 km before I had to get ready to be a bridesmaid in a wedding this weekend. I'm glad I made it out, hate missing my long runs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you enjoyed the wedding, knowing you had that run off your back!

      Delete
  9. I've done both virtual and live races. I'll always prefer live races but virtual races are a fun and way to break up training. I've loved threesome weekends ever since I ran the hat trick at Runners World Running Festival. You're so good at inspiring others to move Wendy! Keep doing what you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never done a virtual race. I was planning to do the Nuun Ambassador race but I kept putting off registration and never got around to it. I think it would be fun to do a virtual race but I'm not sure how much I would push myself compared to being in a live race! Great job this weekend with all those races:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Wendy. I'm seriously jealous of your pace. I haven't seen anything in the 8's since April. (!!) I still have not done a virtual race. Maybe one day soon. Oh, and a big congratulations on the AG award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's the crossfit/cross training that has given me that speed back. I'm loving it!

      Delete
  12. Three races? Wow you are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who doesn't love a good threesome?! :) You've been seriously crushing it out there friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your threesome! What a great weekend for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness ... no one can claim you a lazy person!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your races!!!! Great paces/times as always!!!!!! You are rockin' it lady!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had a great race weekend! I'm sorry you had some pain, but it sounds like the new shoes helped :). And congrats on the AG placement! So great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a soft spot for "Gone For A Run." For Mother's Day last year, my older son gave me a pendant that has a female running figure, a pearl, and a disc that say, "Mom." A thoughtful, heartfelt, loving gift that I cherish deeply. A feel his hug every time I put it on and I smile. This year he gave me, also from GFaR, a granite colored long sleeved hoodie tee, so, so soft, that reads, "One Bad Mother Runner."

    Finally, when I completed my quest to run ten miles (all at once !), my husband bought me a pendant, custom---we all know that NOTHING comes with "10 miles" on it----"10 MILES" on one side, my initials on the other.

    Yes, a very soft sport. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, impressive!! Great job on the "live" race! You are killing your races! I missed the Nuun race unfortunately. I missed the registration deadline :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After you warned me and all about posting....I was waiting for you to do this one!

      Delete
  20. The threesome comment just made me almost spit my drink out! Thanks for that! ;) You were booking it this weekend with all 3 of your races and yes I know you smiled making that guy keep up with you! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it! I told my husband the story and he didn't think it was so funny...oh geez...

      Delete
  21. Wow, what a weekend! Way to rock all three of your races!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good grief, woman; you were busy! I saw pics from these on Instagram over the weekend, but I guess I just didn't put it all together - whew! I'm exhausted just thinking about this! Kudos to you for doing so well and congratulations!!! WOO HOO! What a great way to spend the Fourth! Thanks so much for linking up with the blog and I hope your week is off to a great start; how's your son doing, by the way??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some family issues this weekend...my father in law was hospitalized and my son got hit in the head at rugby, so yes, the highlight of my weekend was the races. My son is much better, thanks for asking!

      Delete
  23. HA! on the threesome! What a busy running weekend! nothing beats the thrill of a live race but I do love to spice up some boring training runs with some virtual races, makes it fun! Congrats on those stellar finishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Funny tho, I didn't expect to attract the odd twitter followers with this blog title...

      Delete
  24. Next week the twitter chat I co-host Monday at 4pm EST where we bust common #fitmyths is talking about running! Fleet Feet is sponsoring us! Hope you will join, looks like running is one of your passions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done a twitter chat! I'm still trying to figure twitter out...

      Delete
  25. I've never done a virtual race but I really should. I really love that american flag singlet you're wearing! I've been looking for cool racing tanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from Inknburn. They have the coolest tanks! I need to do more shopping...

      Delete
  26. You impress me more each post! And for someone that only just started virtual runs, you are really adding them up! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks to GFAR, I get to do another one...they just keep offering and I can't say no!

      Delete
  27. I agree - the real races just have a better energy than virtual ones most days, but I still like some of the fun bling the virtuals offer.

    ReplyDelete