Friday, May 29, 2015

Runfessions for May

It's the end of May, and you know what that means! Yep, it's time for my monthly Runfessions! Do you Runfess? If you don't, you should. It really feels good. After I put it all out there, I get to start June with a clean slate. And there's nothing better than a fresh start.

I'm linking up with Marcia's Healthy Slice for her monthly Runfessions post and linkup.

So without further ado...


**********************************************
I am the queen of wasting time. I blog when I should be cleaning my house. Shop online when I should be paying bills. Enter giveaways on other blogs. Some (my spouse) might call it avoiding responsibility. I call it de-stressing. Last week at work, while waiting for a patient to come for a checkup (they were all late that day), I was chatting with one of the medical assistants and she showed me a fun app called My Idol on her phone. Well, of course, I had to join the party and make my own avatar:

Kind of creepy, isn't it? Now I know what I'd look like with bangs!
And made this video:


We laughed until we cried. There's a lot of other options, including Kung Fu, Sexy Back, and a weird one where pills shoot out of a box. Don't judge. My job can be pretty intense, and it felt good to sit and laugh like that. Later, when I got home, I showed it to my husband, but he was not amused. He can't believe that I had time to even do this. But he has no sense of humor. How would you like to work with him? We call him Mr. Fun....

****************************

The Runners World cover contest is making me crazy!  Do you know what I'm talking about? The annual popularity contest competition to be featured on the cover of Runners World has started up this month. My Facebook feed is loaded with people begging for votes. Last year's winners were uber-inspiring. The leaders in this year's contest are accomplished runners in their own rights, but is their story cover-worthy? Who am I to say? I don't begrudge anyone who wants to win. But the begging for votes is kind of wearing on me. Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC posted on this last week, so I know I'm not alone. This isn't the prom. We don't need a king and queen of running. Personally, I'd like to see a masters runner or two on the cover, instead of the hot young flavor of the month that we usually get to see. Show us some real runners. We should all feel good about our running accomplishments. And speaking of that, let's get back to sharing our wins in our feeds. 'Nuff said.

Here, pick me! Cover worthy! courtesy of the Wisconsin marathon
******************************************
And just because you now think I'm Mrs Crankypants, I should confess that I yelled at one my neighbors a few weeks ago. I was heading out on my bike for a ride, when I saw the guy who leaves his poopy dog bags by the curb in front of my house. Passive aggressive me wants to pick up all my dog's poop and pour it in front of his front door. But civilized me says to be the bigger person. Anyways, Mr. Poop Bag was walking his dog by my house. As I rode my bike out onto the road, I saw him pick up his dog's poop, put it in a plastic bag, and stuff the bag into the sewer grate along the curb. I was so stunned that the words just came out of my mouth. "What are you doing?!" I asked. He just stared at me. Dude, WTF?  (and no, I didn't swear at him). This is a storm sewer, not your personal dog poop disposal! And isn't that illegal? And it was garbage day too! Put your poop bag in the garbage can! OMG. I thought I'd seen it all with bad dog owners, but this just took the cake. I thought about it for my whole bike ride. When I got back, I called my neighbor across the street, who works for the village. She reported him to the sewer department. I don't know what happened after that but I haven't seen him walking his dog past my house since. I could write a whole post on irresponsible dog owners, and I might, but for now, this will have to do. If you can't deal with dog poop, you shouldn't own a dog.

You won't with this guy as your owner. Grrrrr....
**************************
I feel guilty not finishing a book. Does this happen to you? Earlier this week, I checked out a book from the library by Elizabeth Berg called The Dream Lover. I didn't even check the reviews for it, because...Elizabeth Berg. Similar in style to Anne Tyler, her books are about people and families and lives, and really pleasant, easy reads. This was her first venture into historical fiction and it was awful. I tried to like it, I really did. You know I'm not a quitter, but every night I found myself falling asleep while reading it. Then the next night, I'd have to go back and re-read all the pages I read the night before. That's never a good sign, and about 25% into the book, I gave up. Sorry, Ms. Berg, but this one was a turd. If you need a cure for insomnia, this book should do it.



***********************************

Have you ever heard the saying "no good deed goes unpunished?" Last week, my oldest son didn't go to school one day, and I needed to drive my youngest son to school. As we were leaving, I saw one of the neighbor kids walking back from the bus stop. He said the bus didn't come, and I offered to give him a ride. On the way to school, he told me his parents were getting a divorce. It sounded messy, and I offered sympathy, and listened to him talk. After I dropped the boys off at the high school, I drove up to the pretty preserve where there is a limestone path. I rarely run there, but since I was so close, I thought it might be a nice change of pace. About a mile into the preserve, I passed another runner, a cross dresser wearing women's running clothes, a blonde wig, and full makeup. I realized then how isolated I was in the preserve, and even though I knew this character posed no danger to me, it still really freaked me out. I picked up the pace and thought about this the whole rest of my run. When I got home safe and sound, I started getting ready for work. There was a pounding on the door, and I about jumped out of my skin. The person didn't go away, and I decided to see who it was. It was the boy's dad, wanting to "tell me his side" of the divorce saga. He wouldn't leave, and I politely told him I didn't want to get involved.



No more good deeds for me.

And isn't it funny how one incident sets off a whole chain of events! I told my oldest son that if only he'd gone to school, none of this would have happened. So really, it's all his fault...

******************************************

What do you have to runfess? 

I'm also linking up with the DC Trifecta: Courtney, Mar, and Cynthia for Friday Five! Head on over to see what everyone else is posting about. It's Free Friday!

65 comments :

  1. I know I know re RW Cover Search. I was super hesitant about joining in. But as someone who shied away from those types of things in school, it has actually been pretty great for me to get myself out there like that. I totally agree with you on the popularity contest aspect of it, and in many ways I know that I am not going to win (believe me, I'm not stupid!). But I would just like to raise awareness for my situation, and hopefully help others who are feeling like maybe they can to feel like maybe they can. I know that sounds all Miss America, but it truly is how I feel. Is there a vanity aspect to it as well? Certainly. But isn't there one to having a blog too!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally vote for you! You have a great story, and you run in spite of a chronic illness. You are someone who should be on the cover!

      Delete
  2. Wait, the kid's dad was the running cross-dresser?? There is/was a stripper/running blogger who actually posted a video of herself pole-dancing. I don't get the RW contest either. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that would have really pushed me over the edge. And that might have explained the divorce, too.

      Delete
    2. Haha Marcia, that's exactly what I was thinking too...that would have been funny!

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow, on the Dad. Talk about uncomfortable! I quit books guilt-free -- life is too short!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that so far this year I have seen very little about the RW photo contest. But last year I will say that it was a little crazy with all the "average joe" runners begging for votes, so I totally understand what you are saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of block it out now. But I'd much rather see people sharing their accomplishments!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the morning smile (and laugh). I can totally relate to everything mentioned...the annoying self-prostituting with the magazine cover thing, irresponsible dog owners, people with no sense of humor (who stalk you on social media but avoid you in person)....yadda yadda yadda. And, I'll get back to you on the procrastination issue..... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the term self-prostituting! I may steal and use... :D

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on the RW cover thing...and don't even get me started on the irresponsible dog owners - we've got one who walks through our neighborhood and I've totally called him out in the past! Seriously a pet peeve of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd seen it all until I saw him stuffing the poop bag into the sewer. So weird...and so bad!

      Delete
  7. Ugh, bad dog owners make it hard for the rest of us. I always feel so guilty when my little pup picks the neighbors yard to leave a present. I always pick it up immediately, but just feel so guilty. I mean, I don't go around the neighborhood fertilizing other people's lawn - I don't want my pup to either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a neighbor once whose dog pooped in my yard while I was out there. He didn't have a bag, and said "oops, sorry!". I told him to wait and I got him a bag. Really?

      Delete
  8. Totally agree on the RW contest. I threw my hat in the ring because someone mentioned it to me and asked for votes for a day and then was over it. I don't like soliciting for things like that, but some people have been completely shameless over it to the point where I had to do newsfeed hidings. We all deserve to be on the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've had quite the week! I can't believe you're stuck in the middle of the divorce -yikes!
    For more fun things - MyIdol! I have it too - so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea. I want an older women on the cover.
    I don't finish books if they don't grab me. I don't have time to read a bad book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No kidding what a chain of events! I hope they nail Mr Poop bag- what a poop head! I am wish you on books- if 20/25% in I am not hooked - I am out! TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard much about the RW Cover Photo contest, but I can certainly imagine how it would morph into an image-driven popularity contest. UGH.

    I am completely appalled at the guy stuffing the poop in the sewer gate. What the heck is his problem? Good for you for calling him out on in and reporting it. We don't need no poop stinking up the entire community (pun intended).

    If I don't like a book, I won't finish it either. At least you got it from the library, so you didn't incur any costs on it. My husband BUYS all his books from the bookstore (I've been trying to get him to use his library card, but he likes buying books) - and if he doesn't finish the book, then I consider it to be a waste of money, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a neighbor, when we lived in the city, who used to change his own oil and pour it into the sewer grate. People just don't realize the impact that has on everything else.

      Delete
  13. That saying now has me singing the Wicked soundtrack.
    i love avatars that are supposed to look like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have some gifs too, but I can't download them without using their chat app. I don't want to commit that much...

      Delete
  14. Is THAT Mr. Darcy? (It's hard to tell). But I love the version of that movie with him & Kiera Knightley. Just sayin'. I would rather someone's dog just go ahead and poop in my yard (it decomposes quickly -- and I suppose you could call it fertilizer) than have the plastic bags sitting around or stuffed into the sewer. They don't decompose quickly. I LOVE the look on your face in that race photo. HA. I'm going to have to try the avatar thing. Have you ever tried fat face? Scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Mr Darcy! Thank you for getting it right! I was wondering if anyone would figure it out! LOL!

      Delete
  15. I think your avatar is rather cute, actually. Good for you for calling that guy out with the dog poop thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I will have to join in with the Runfessions next month, wow! That is so awkward about the divorce situation, it stinks when you're just trying to be nice! As for the Runner's World covers, I'd just like to see more diversity, period. Everyone looks the same, month to month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the diversity! Of course my bias is to the old ladies. Enough of the young blonde things, right?

      Delete
  17. Puts a smile on my face every time I watch it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you have an awesome weekend, Wendy!! I can't think of any good runfessions right now...other than the fact that I just spent way more money that I should have with Oiselle today - hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so tried of seeing posts about the RW Cover contest. I hate this annual popularity contest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't realize that contest was still going on. Lucky for me, I don't see as many in my feed. I absolutely detest when people leave their poopy bags when there's clearly a trash can less than 100 feet away. Btw...LOVED your pole dancing video! If only I had the core strength to pull that dance off in real life! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG , the pole dancing video... Freaking hilarious...you had me LOL'ing here and my kids wanted to come watch. My husband would get such a kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd laugh...we nurses need this kind of stuff, don't we?

      Delete
  22. I can't believe that guy did that with the dog poop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. I had a neighbor who used to pour his motor oil into the sewer after he changed it. No fuss, no muss, right?

      Delete
  23. Oh my goodness, you've no idea how much I needed a giggle. What a fun link-up. PS that app looks hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best link up! I look forward to this every month. You should join up!

      Delete
  24. I have to tell you, I've finally come to the point in the last few years where if I can't get into a book by page 50 - 100, then I put it away. I used to feel the need to finish every book I started....not anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know so many people competing that I pretty much refuse to vote for anyone. Passive aggressive? Maybe. And don't get me started in the dog poop. Keeping dog poop out of water is one of the area's I deal with in my big girl job. I probably would have beaten him with the bag of poop.

    ReplyDelete
  26. BAHAHAHAHA I am so with you on that stupid contest. #makeitstop

    ReplyDelete
  27. I know what you mean about the Runner's World cover search. People get obsessed with it! Your running avatar is awesome, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me, right? Maybe they could put my avatar on the cover of RW?

      Delete
  28. Hehe. I thought about doing the Runner's World cover search, but I figured, I'd rather just enjoy my running. For me, I don't have good running form anyways. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I signed up for the runners world contest but have yet to promote, pretty sure I won't be winning any popularity contests anytime soon and it actually takes too much effort to "beg" for votes. I think they should just have judges review all the entries and choose, no voting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. We have a lot of irresponsible dog owners in our apartment complex. Makes me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. First, wow you have a lot of comments!
    I am out of the loop and get no Runner's World begging. Yay! I'd be grumpy too. The poop thing is unreal. I reported my neighbor for burning in a barrel, highly illegal. They stopped doing it.
    If you travel for a race, consider VCM.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I so don't understand why people go to the bother of picking up dog poo and then leaving the bag on the side of the road! It drives me insane!
    And I totally feel guilty about not finishing a book - and I do it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand it myself. And who is supposed to pick it up? The Poop Fairy?

      Delete