Friday, March 20, 2015

Runfessions for March

Marcia is hosting Runfessions a week early. Does this mean we have a Get Out of Jail Free card for spring break? I get to leave for Florida with a clean conscience. And that's a good thing.



I was worried that I wouldn't have anything to come up with for this month's edition, but of course, I have plenty....I live on the edge. Thank goodness she hosts this link up or else I'd have to go see the priest. Welcome to the Classic Rock version of Runfessions--see if you can guess the song and the artist. Tell me you aren't singing along. And give me a penance--for my wrongs or for putting these songs in your head. It's ok.

*****************************

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy? 

Oh my gosh, I was so excited after Saturday's half marathon! I'm getting a little obnoxious about it, aren't I? That's because it's done and now it's back to reality, and everyone expects me to act normal, like nothing huge happened to me. I know it's selfish and unrealistic, but is it wrong to want everyone to be as excited as me? Or at least, can't I just ride the wave of happiness a little while longer? Does this happen to you after you've accomplished something big? After I ran the Chicago marathon and had that amazing race, I had to go back to work the next morning. Everyone at work was so excited and I was flying high, telling my race story. Then BOOM! I walked into my first patients' room--3 sick kids with colds, and the mom put me back in my place. "I heard you talking about your marathon out there, and I'm sure you're really excited but you know what, I'm here because my kids are sick and you need to do something about it." She put that pin right in my big ole' balloon. Popped that thing. Coming back to reality isn't always easy.


**********************************************

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to...

Ok, I have to admit to a hint of regret. Even though I had a great race, and even though I know I wouldn't have had this race in the heat and humidity of Florida, I still felt a tug and a twinge when I saw pictures of the Sarasota half marathon and the medal. That beautiful big dolphin medal. I don't normally run a race for the bling but Sarasota was a dream race for me, one I've wanted to run for the last 3 years. My husband, who I think feels really badly for me, already told me to submit my deferral so that I can go next year. He said I'm going, no matter what. So that's something. Actually, that's huge and somewhat shocking, coming from him. He's always been a little ambivalent about my running. I'm still a little sad though. But at least I have next year...

Ok, sure!
***************************************************

Why don't you all just f-fade away...

I still want to run away. Is it wrong to admit that I've had it up to here with my son? Yes, my son, who, after returning to school last week, promptly got sick and stayed home 2 days. Ok, that's fine, can't be helped. But then Monday, he announced that he wasn't going to school because they were taking the PARC test. "It's not required and I'm not going", was his response. Ever the enabler, I called him off because I don't want him to have an unexcused absence after missing so much school already. Meanwhile, the heavy metal was blaring from his room all day, every day. Who listens to heavy metal when they're sick? My son, apparently. Hey, mister, it's my day off. I made him turn it off. I'm so mean. When I signed up for this parenting thing, no one told me about teenagers...I mean I was a teenager once, but who knew I'd get it back like this? Tree, meet apple...


************************************************************

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no....

I'm in the midst of a two week vacation from work. I was supposed to be in Florida for two weeks, but obviously had to change those plans. By the way, we are still going to Florida for a week with the whole family. But work knew about my change in plans and that I was going to be home this week, and they were hoping I'd give them some hours, since they're short staffed--spring break and all. I said no. I really needed this time away, after pushing through all my personal stress the last couple of weeks. And when do you ever get 2 weeks off work?


***********************************************************

Just call me Lucifer, 'cause I'm in need of some restraint...

I photobombed someone's pictures at the race on Saturday. Sara and I were just standing there by the heater before the race, trying to stay warm. A group of women in plaid kilts, standing behind us, were posing for pictures. I got behind them and smiled. The guy taking the picture totally knew I was there and was trying not to laugh. He took a couple of shots. Sara couldn't believe it. Sometimes that devil on my shoulder tells me what to do and I listen. Even though its wrong. Just because I can. Sigh.



*******************************************************

Got anything to confess? Come on, you know you do. You'll feel better, I promise! And be sure to head over to Marcia's Healthy Slice to see what everyone else is confessing. You know, misery loves company!





















And since I have 5 things, I'm going to link up with the DC Trifecta aka EatPrayRun, You Signed up for What?, and Mar on the Run for their Friday Five!

61 comments :

  1. jealous of your Florida trip! Have a great time.Confession-I've been quietly and slowly returning to running the last 2 weeks so far so good. fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for returning to running! I'm excited for you. Fingers crossed (and toes) that everything goes well!

      Delete
  2. Your last confession with the caption pix had me laughing out loud. Your too funny! Photo bombing is a must do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I didn't make a weird face! I just smiled for the camera!

      Delete
  3. Um, seriously, that lady with the sick kids after your marathon was a...something I probably shouldn't say in polite company. That's terrible! Ugh. So sorry that happened to you. You should still be super excited about that race--you ran really well and you got a PR *AND* you placed in your age group!! That's a huge deal. Keep celebratin'! Haters gonna hate, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun in Florida. A sub 2 half and a ag award. I am still jealous. I have run the Sarasota half. I am thinking the Music half in Sarasota on Feb 5 next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sista, you get to ride your wave as long as you want. I'd ride into the next year if I were you. Your pic of Wonder Women reminds me...I bought a WW skirt at an expo recently. I later ordered red and white striped arm sleeves to go with. WHAT was I thinking? It's actually more Dr. Suess-ish than super hero. Have FUN FUN FUN on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a Wonder Woman cup at work for my water. It inspires me every time I sip from it!

      Delete
  6. I'm not much of a medal ho. Ho. That's what all the kids are saying so I am too. But that Sarasota dolphin number is definitely travel worthy. Still can't believe the 'nads on that woman to say that to you after your marathon. I mean really. Eavesdropping. Have a great trip and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I could write a whole other blog on the stuff parents say to me. You'd be shocked. I still am, even after all these years of doing this!

      Delete
  7. I think you've got the right to keep on celebrating your race for as long as you want to! Have fun on your vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that photobomb! LOL. I know how you feel about wanting to ride the high of a great race for as long as possible. And I'm sure it was bittersweet seeing everything from Sarasota...glad you'll be able to do it next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Queen! And I can probably pull out all the rest, too, 'cause ya know, I'm a certain age…

    Have a really fabulous trip; it should be cleansing after all this runfessing, right? Enjoy that race glow all the way through the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the runfessions. And I've already come up with more this morning. Parenting teens will do that to you..

      Delete
  10. Returning to reality after a trip or a major race is never easy. But that mom was a bit rude in the way she talked to you. Sorry to hear that's the way you had to return to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember all too well how I was as a teenager so the thought of ever having any completely terrifies me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I completely understand why some parents send their teens to boarding school. It all makes sense to me now.

      Delete
  12. So sorry you couldn't go to Sarasota...I know how badly you wanted to go...but I hope your vacation is peaceful and restful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've definitely felt a weird sense of sadness and regret over race bling before so I totally understand. And as far as teenagers go...yeah I'm so not prepared for that. Some days I think 3 is the hardest thing ever. Then I have to remind myself that eventually there will be a teenager in my house. (It definitely makes 3 seem more manageable. I was AWFUL!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So the moral of the story is your coming to Sarasota next year!!! WOO HOO!!! Cause ya know I will have to bop my happy self right on over there :) I sure hope you enjoy your vacay and that photo bomb is hilarious! I got nothing good for you :( and that is just lame! and thank you I am humming some tunes now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen - twice); It's My Party (Leslie Gore, I think?); My Generation (The Who); Sympathy for the Devil (Stones). How'd I do?!

    I'm in the same boat with the ambivalent hubby, and with questioning why everyone around me isn't more EXCITED when I've done something awesome! Rest assured that all of US in the running community are just as excited for your accomplishments as you are - AWESOME JOB! And, you'll get to that dream race, just keep planning for it and you'll make it happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoy the two weeks off. It is amazing what can fill the time and you've definitely earned some "me" time. I'll be thinking of you in a few weeks when I'm visiting family in Sarasota area...you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been nice to do nothing this week. Blogging, reading, running...ahhhh...

      Delete
  17. I love that you photobombed! That's hysterical! I get where that mom was coming from after Chicago, but I still feel like that was a little harsh of her...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoy your racing bliss for as long as you want girl, you earned it!! OMG, the photobomb story is hilarious! Runfession: as excited about running Paris as I am, I was thinking the other day what would happen if I just skipped it :/ I won't of course, but the thought did cross my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you dare skip it! I want to hear every detail! You could get a few posts out of this one...

      Delete
  19. Love these... and I must admit, I giggled OUT LOUD when I saw that last image of the seal photobombing! HA! Hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. good for you for saying NO to your job. enjoy your time off as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't been as relaxing as I hoped but still nice to be away from work!

      Delete
  21. I think it's completely fine to be excited about your race! You keep that excitement for as long as you want! :]

    Hope your son snaps outta the teenager phase soon, and that you have fun in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have a great time in Florida. A little warm weather should be nice for the soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I saw ride the post race bliss for as long as possible, I know I do!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved the pictures to go with your confessions. Perfectly fine to ride that high for longer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, that parent had 3 sick kids but I think they could have given you a minute about your marathon, had you in a GREAT mood to treat her kids and gone from there. You were smart to not go into work. I think vaca at home can be the most relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One week at home, one at the beach. I could get used to this!

      Delete
  26. When my kids hit the teenage years, I'm moving the Mexico...'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ryan Gosling memes just never get old. And that lady with the sick kids? What the heck? I get your kids are sick, but that doesn't mean you can't be excited about your race!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope you enjoy Florida! I live near Daytona :) I hope the weather cooperates well for you. It can be hot one day and cold the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposed to rain today...hopefully the rest of the week will be good.

      Delete
  29. No ready to runfess up yet :) I'm still excited about your race!

    ReplyDelete