Sunday, December 7, 2014

A pain in the ass

It's not the first time I've used this meme!! And it probably won't be the last...
I've had a tough week. Not only with this injury, this pain in my butt that has limited my running this week, but in general. I could choose to focus on the crap at work, which I wrote about earlier this week and in another post. But there isn't much I can do to change what's going on there, right? As my partner told me this week, head down and do your job. That's how I'm going to approach things this week. I could focus on my husband's dubious employment situation..he's been out of work for a few weeks and now his boss is throwing a few scraps his way, which affects unemployment compensation...sigh. But again, there's not a whole lot I can do about that either, right?

I could also focus on my injured son who, in addition to the MCL tear that he is currently rehabbing, broke his big toe on Friday. He was running late to gym, and had his shoes in his hands...I know, I know, he's 15...tripped up the stairs and fell, stubbing that toe in the process. I knew it was broken and of course he argued with me, but a trip to see my partner and an xray proved that mother does know best...now we're arguing because he's refusing to wear the boot. I don't blame him for not wanting to but last night he bumped the toe and almost cried in pain..I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away. I mean, really what do I know?

As if that were not enough, yesterday my husband couldn't get off the couch, complaining of back pain. Sounds like a herniated disc to me. My husband has put on some weight over the years, and I'm sure that having a large waist doesn't help the back at all....but what do I know?


Dealing with all that life ass pain would be bad enough, but not being able to run it off? Oh, hell no! I've been working the foam roller and the lacrosse ball furiously this week. Both of them were pleading for mercy. Seriously. I couldn't find my foam roller this morning. I think he was hiding behind the couch. At rest, my leg has been feeling pretty good. So yesterday, I made up my mind to try 4 miles at slower pace. I pulled out a new pair of my beloved Asics Gel Nimbus. It was hard to hold back, but I was rewarded with a full 4 miles, no stopping. No shin splints, and just a little nagging reminder in my glute that I needed to take it easy. I came home and rolled again. Rolled last night. And decided to go for 8 this morning. I ran slow, using short strides, and it was another joyful run...I smiled the whole way, except for the moment where I stepped in a hole and felt that leg pull. I gingerly continued on my run and shook it off. Whew!

This is one happy runner!
In the meantime, I did a little research on this butt pain. I've been calling it piriformis pain, but after watching this video by my new boyfriend Dr Jordan Metzl, I realized that I was mistaken! I've been treating myself correctly, but now I know the real cause for my pain. High hamstring tendonitis aka proximal hamstring strain. Dr Metzl explains the difference so well and so logically. As a medical professional, I can appreciate that. As a runner, I liked that he said I could keep running. He gets me. Even though he doesn't know me.

.

So yes, I can run through this if I run slowly and shorten my stride. Which is what I've been doing! And continue strength training for my glutes. Which is what Becky has me doing!

Because it's all about that bass, right?

A couple of lessons were learned this week. You can teach an old runner new tricks. First, I need to stretch and foam roll regularly, not just when I'm hurting. I'm usually so good about this, but since the marathon, I've been slacking. Riding the wave, so to speak. Taking my success for granted, I guess. Another lesson learned is that I need to change my shoes at the first sign of pain. Actually, I should have changed them after the marathon. I felt so good, that I didn't see the need. And these were my "lucky" shoes, I ran that awesome marathon in them. Lots of good juju in those shoes, right? Yeah, lots of miles on them too. Doh!


Today, I feel so much better about running and life in general. All that crap that happened this past week...I have no control over any of that. But my running? I do have control over that...if I do some maintenance and not take it for granted. I need my running to help me cope with everything else life throws at me. I know this.

Ending a bad week on a positive note? Let's hope that I can carry that positivity into next week. Onward and upward! Head down and do the work.

23 comments :

  1. Your positive spirit will carry you through! :) You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you thank you thank you for posting this post and this video. I'm 99% sure this is what I've been dealing with! (Unforutnatly since Sept.. so hopefully I haven't moved over into the next step).. I was doing ok then added in hills.. and now I'm back to pain with walking.. so I did too much .. anyway.. going to check out his ironstrength workout he was talking about. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been running forever, and every time I think I've had every injury possible, another new one pops up. Hopefully we can "run this one off". Literally. Keep doing those squats and lunges!

      Delete
  3. So glad you are able to run. It is SUCH a great coping mechanism. You had me laughing about your foam roller hiding. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heading over to it now...and I see it's disappeared again. Coincidence? I think not...

      Delete
  4. Great post! Yes, I have the pain in the a$$ with my left piriformis...ongoing for the past few years. It is so frustrating because I do a lot of lunges and squats and foam roll...apparently, not enough of any those, though. UGH. I am doing yoga consistently this off-season, and may need you to keep me accountable about rolling more often, like you said....I should also be doing this when I'm not in pain (duh!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back at you... I need you to keep me accountable too! What the hell is wrong with me?

      Delete
  5. This high hamstring thing is my nemesis. To the point that I partially tore mine a couple years ago, in yoga of all places. Ugh. Take care of that butt. Glad you got out for a run! #runitoff is my new mantra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I'm trying to prevent that from happening. I can see exacerbating it in yoga...we tend to push a little too far...

      Delete
  6. Glad you are running. I would have done the same and have. I don't stretch until something hurts. Hope the rest of your family heals as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great to hear that you've gotten to the bottom to your issues! You know, I've been having some pain in my shins and ankles lately and I've been working extra hard with the foam and foot rollers. I think my glutes need some attention though! Sorry your son and hubs are injured....speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My glutes need a lot of attention...it's all about that bass...

      Delete
  8. You and your family have definitely had your (un-)fair share of challenges, but you have the right attitude. Things will improve. Your comments about control and running strike a chord with me because I think that's part of the reason why I love running so much. Yes--injuries aside--running is one thing in my life where I think I can pretty much control what happens.

    And BTW, I totally agree with you and your position about rewarding merit and think what happened at your work is BS. There, I said it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! My coworkers are still talking about that. I'll keep praising people for a job well done.

      Delete
  9. Wendy, that's the SAME THING that got my hamstring awhile back! GAH! It improved pretty quickly, once I started doing all those glute exercises (bridges, clamshells, leg lifts, etc) and I hadn't worked nearly as hard as you have recently on those muscles so I know you'll be good as new in no time. I'm so glad that you are able to get back at it; I know how important running can be when everything else is out of control. Sending hugs...thank you for linking up again this week, and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tara! I need to do those clamshells...mostly I'm just rolling and stretching...as long as I can run, I'm good.

      Delete
  10. Uggh, sorry things have been rough. It's been rough in our house as well. I am SO bad at rolling and keeping up with my exercises when I'm not having pain. That is definitely one of my new years resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I can run it off...I'm ok. But with the threat of injury looming, I was feeling a little anxious!

      Delete
  11. It's good to know that despite the all the commotions about your husband and son’s physical pain, you still found time to release your tension through running. Not to mention that it's a good way to stay in shape, so you can face everyday with renewed vigor. Thanks for sharing this with us, Wendy. All the best!


    Agnes Lawson @ PainReliefExperts

    ReplyDelete